Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day Two Hundred Seventy-two: Evening of May 4th 2010

I had a rather busy day with the errands and household chores, but I managed to check out the HD Camera app.
To start with, I laid out six quarters on the table and photographed them using the iPad app, Camera, and the HD Camera app. I framed them to cover the same area, then emailed both to my email account. I opened the account on the iPad and found that I couldn't transfer the images to any of the graphics apps or the Photos app. I shifted to my laptop, opened the email application, and downloaded the images. When I opened them in Photoshop, they were jpeg files and the standard definition file was larger than the high definition image. I considered this to be strange because the HD image should have been larger. It is possible that the compression algorithm might account for this discrepancy. So I decided to import the iPad images directly into iPhoto and then export the images as TIFF files. After completing this transfer, the file sizes were reversed, the standard definition file was around 9 megabytes and the high definition file was around 31 megabytes. I don't know if that would achieve the 7 megapixel claim of the HD Camera app, but it was a significant improvement.
When I opened the two images in Photoshop, both images appeared the same size on the screen. When I checked the magnification of the images, the HD image was at 16% and the SD image was at 33% magnification. So the higher definition image has more information available to present to the viewer.
Now this isn't the only quality that is needed. Color balance, contrast, lens quality are some other elements that would contribute the the appearance of an image. But I wasn't checking any of those out, but I did notice an exposure difference. I couldn't be sure what cause it, so I decided to forget about it and concentrate on the resolution issue.
For as long as it's needed, I'll keep closing this way. Please check out a good organization that's providing aid in Haiti and make what ever kind of contribution that you can afford. 
-- Post From My iPad using Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment