Monday, November 30, 2009

Day One Hundred-twenty: evening of November 30th 2009

So after preparing tea for my family, I can sit down and describe how created a null point in Borderlands earlier in the day.
I was playing the second Arena scenario, and had move through the first two challenges without serious gladiatorial mishaps ( I was killed off only once). But the third event proved to be much more of a challenge. I mean much more of a challenge, multiple bruisers, badass bruisers, thugs, pygmy warriors, and psychos - the whole nine yards.
I think I was on my sixth or seventh try, experimenting with weapon combinations to see what worked best. I noticed that the badass bruisers were the pincer of the envelopment strategy. It took me a while to see this with all the digital lead flying about. The strategy that I put together was hold the center with my temporary machine gun and quickly lob grenades into the lesser powers located there. Once that was done, I attacked the less powerful of the badass bruisers based on the armament carried. It didn’t work the first two times. I needed to work on the weapon balance. I think that I settled on my side arms consisting of shock producing weapons, a potent shotgun, and, finally, a flame producing round delivered by an RPG and MIRV grenades
To make a long story short, it looked like it was working. The machine’s artificial intelligence was tough, but I had stalled or eliminated the central force, and turned to face the badass bruiser with a machinegun. The other badass bruiser is armed with an accurate explosive RPG. I had to make sure that I sought out some cover as I attacked. I notice that I wasn’t drawing any other fire, so the central force had been neutralized. It was at this point I began to sense something was off. Normally, there was always a stream of reinforcements, but there were none. I finished off the first badass bruiser and turned my attentions on the second. I couldn’t see any other ‘tangos’ so I concentrated my fire on the other bruiser. I started with the fire producing RPG at a distance and shifted to the submachine gun (SMG) as it got closer. The life points flowed off the character, it went down. Silence. No other tangos were evident, but the arena gate didn’t open and the waypoint marker remained in the center of the arena. I spent the next five to ten minutes running around seeing if I could trigger the continuation of the game. I did not succeed, so I had to quit. I’ll see what happens when I return and pick up where I left off.
In after action thought, I realized that the final round was an example of a pincer attack-infantry in the center to pin the enemy, and armor to swing wide and smashing the flanks cutting off the possible retreat.
Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment