Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day Ninety-three: evening of November 3rd 2009

It was a choice between Demon Soul for the PS3 and Dragon Age: Origins, a multiplatform game. After watching a few of the trailers/teasers for Dragon Age, I decided on it over the PS3 offering. The next decision was which platform I would be purchasing. That thought was presented to the two clerks in the local GameStop, one of whom informed me that the PS3 version wouldn’t be arriving until tomorrow. Decision made, Dragon Age: Origin for the Xbox 360 it was.
Before I started this entry, I wanted to play a while to get a feel for the game. I knew that in the evening I would be beat, and would have trouble staying focused. It’s happening as I write this, now. I fired up the game shortly after arriving home. I checked out a promo on Xbox Live on the game, which reinforced the good feeling that I was having about purchasing the game. I was watching the setup video when the phone range, one of my relative who had been having problems with their computer. I tried to stop the lead-in, but I couldn’t, so I muted the sound until I was finished. Well by the time we finished our conversation, the character generation phase was on the monitor. Time to start the game over again. The phone rings, again, as the lead-in plays, it’s my wife and another conversation ensues. Ah third time is a charm, I think, and begin watching as the phone rings, it’s my daughter and I watch as the muted video plays out for the third time. “Yes pick up a plain coffee,” she’s about three blocks away and I was now in a hurry. I started creating my character. How close could I come to a bow wielding elf ala Orlando Bloom (Legolas Greenleaf) in Lord of the Rings. There were a number of choices, some to define the body type, and others the nature of the character: clan, strengths, skills. All establishing the potential for the growth of my character. I hope I chose well. We shall see.
The character is ready, the game begins, and the phone rings, “Yes, I’ll be down in a few minutes for my coffee.” I power down and hope to be able to continue after everyone is asleep - no phone calls, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment