Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day One Hundred-eighteen: evening of November 28th 2009

It felt a bit strange as I played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the PlayStation 3 for five hours. It was, for all intents and purposes, the same game as the one for the Xbox 360. The controller for the PS3 is smaller and lighter, but it was the switch of the trigger and grenade buttons that caused me the most grief. I would aim down the sight (also flipped) begin to pull the trigger, and watch as the grenade would arch in the direction of the target. If the target was close, I might score a hit or the ‘tango’ would flip it back at me. If the target was in the distance, most of the grenades would fall short. This action, if it occurred in a building would result, and I missed the door or window, in the grenade bouncing back, killing you-know-who. This minor switch caused me to get killed so many times that I lost count.
In the end, even though the result of this minor switch proved disastrous, I played through the whole game faster by about an hour and met my character’s electronic maker, whose perverse sense of humor, placed me in the same spot when I respawned. I think the principle at work here is the famous ‘sink or swim’ course of action. The few seconds before reanimation requires some thought to an effective change in strategy. In the long run I could live with that thought provoking pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment