Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day Ninety-four: evening of November 4th 2009

There were a lot of things going on today, but after playing Dragon Age: Origins for about five hours I can’t remember what the articles in Kotaku and Gismodo were. I guess that you can consider that statement a review of the game. It is a very engaging game, from the creation of your character to your existence in your RPG world. As you move further into the game, You discover the importance of saving, and saving often. As you move into the adventure, more exposure to potential quests impacts decision making and the ability to change your mind would be aided by resorting to a return to a decision making point through a previous. I know that I have added on a lot of unintentional side quests. I’m concerned that I might lose sight of the main quest or select a side quest that is beyond the capabilities of my group. In other words trading time for choice becomes a viable option. I intend to play the game as it unfolds without relying on this approach, but it could be a big help if serious situations arose for another player.
One thing that I remember from a Kotaku was an article about Dragon Age on the PlayStation 3. It mentioned a frame rate decrease if a large number of characters appear in an actions scene, placing a heavy load on the graphics processor. I’m waiting to see if it occurs on the Xbox 360. If it doesn’t happen, that would be any interesting situation, considering Sony’s advertising approach of stating how superior the graphics handling of its PS3 were over the competition (of course it could be issues with the port by the programmers).
Later on, as I was eating a late dinner with my family, I wanted to do a score check of what would eventually be a Yankee title victory in the World Series. The television was in use by my wife and daughter, who were engrossed in Law and Order: SVU. I did not want to break into their program, so I pulled out my iPhone and activated the MLB.com app. It cost about ten dollars, and offered a variety of features, one of which was to ability to watch a couple of baseball games, other than the locally broadcast game. I did take advantage of this feature during the regular season, but tonight, I wondered if it was covering the World Series. I was surprised to see that not only did it have it on, but you could select the camera feed you would like to use to watch the game. I selected the quad screen. The center field camera, the home and visiting dugout cameras, and the press box behind the plate camera appeared simultaneously on the iPhone screen, tiny but visible and intriguing. I was getting the total picture, other than the fans, of the baseball happening. I think that I would like that type of presentation on my regular television. I would be able to choose the focal point by interest without missing the supporting activities. I wonder how well it would work on the large wide screen and on a regular basis? The network could have a commercial rotating around the screen the whole time. I’ve never been that interested in the fan shots, so this format appeals to me. I wonder how other fans of the game would feel about this format?

No comments:

Post a Comment