Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day One Hundred-one: evening of November 11th 2009

While walking the dog, I had the some thoughts about the controversial scenario in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. We, the players, are ‘ordered’ by our commanding officer to infiltrate a ultra-nationalist military organization, with the understanding that we might have to commit acts that would go against our moral beliefs in order to get next to the group’s leader.
The scenario begins with you in this group with the leader of the organization on an elevator. We are all carrying heavy weapons. I’m holding a light machinegun with 900 hundred rounds and some grenades. The elevator doors open and we enter an airport. With the information given you can probably figure out what is going to happen next. If you follow your orders, it does unfold that way. Here is where my thoughts while walking dogs kicked in. The idea of this mission was to get into the inner circle of the group, apparently it has worked. So what happens if the agent pulls a Jason Bourne, I think as my pet pulls me back to the house. The beauty of any video game, the ‘what if’ factor can be played.
Well that is what I wanted to try. Usually after walking the dog, I get a ‘second wind’ and I didn’t feel that tired, so I fired up the Xbox 360, loaded the scenario and played the ‘Bourne Intervention’ out of the elevator. I open fire on the ‘bad guys’ especially targeting the leader. They turn around, open fire on me as I duck back into the elevator. They kill me in the elevator-scenario over. Next attempt, more destructive power against my foes. This time open with a grenade, then the LMG. I hang back as the group enters the metal detectors, not many civilians around them there. I place the grenade at the feet of the leader and open fire on his co-conspirators. I can see one of the ‘tangos’ begin to crumble., but the others turn and fire on me. I duck back into the elevator, knowing what the outcome will be. One more try, three grenades and a spray of bullets, all for naught-the same results. At that point I give up, knowing that this path is not allowed.
I wonder if there would have been a way to have permitted this approach, and maintain most of the flow afterward. I mean what occurred in the ‘what if’ scenario seemed truncated, it lived up to the primary reason of the covert operation. Once the leader was dead, the local police could have turned the agent over to the foreign country’s national security police, who in turn sent our agent to a high security gulag for interrogation. So instead of rescuing Capt. Price they rescue our agent. The story would be pointed in the right direction.
After my attempts at changing history, I was wide awake and decided to see how long it would take me to finish the game. I played through the evening, into the pre-dawn hours and finished just before 5 am. Checking the stats and I find that I completed the game in just under seven hours and forty-five minutes. I was “wow” happy. I thought that that was a good time for me in the regular difficulty setting. That was until I heard the Xplay review stating that the although the game was great, the single player game was over a bit to quick. Oh, well. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment