Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day One Hundred-eleven: evening of November 21st 2009

The problem that I was working on today makes its appearance in Borderlands (PS3). I was trying to recover a lost limb for a character named T.K. Baja. It’s really a two part mission, retrieve four packs of food from various skag dens, and then T.K.’s limb from a very old and tough skag (a minor boss?). When you‘ve collected all the items, you return to T.K. to get your reward (cash and experience).
Skags are pack creatures that inhabit small caves along the mountain walls. Five seems to be the normal number in a pack, but once engaged with one pack, their screams can draw other packs in the area into the fray. The older the skag the tougher they are to destroy. And there is also a mutated skag called a spitter. It launches a ball of toxic phlegm that does damage from a distance, and that ball of phlegm seems to home in on a moving target.
So off I go to get the objects for T.K. As you retrieve each item a new waypoint lights up on the map showing the approximate area of the next item. After getting the food packs, I checkout the location of the final item, T.K.’s limb, and return to one of the dens and locate the pack. I realize that I can’t take on the whole pack with the leader, so I thin out the pack from a distance with a sniper rifle. This strategy is a partial success. The shots draw the attention of the pack of skags and they begin an attack. As I pick off the lesser skags, I move back, accidentally activating other packs. Now I have an immediate problem with the new, but younger skags, to deal with. Out comes the two shell shotgun for some close quarter combat. Back pedaling give me time to reload, but be careful you don’t reload off a cliff (you have to start over from the last save). I do this a couple of times and, finally, its me and the old, mean, skag leader. I make sure everything is loaded, and, shotgun in hand, go after the skag. The battle is intense, but the shotgun is powerful enough to damage and ultimately kills the creature. There is a lot of loot carried by this beast, all of which is taken, but no limb. I check the map and the way point is in the center of the old skag’s den. I go there and wonder all over the area. Nothing! I position over the waypoint and circle around the waypoint expanding the circle as I move. Nothing! I check all the supply boxes. Nothing! I examine the smoldering refuse piles. Nothing! I’ve lost track of the time I’ve spent searching for the limb.
I give up. I go back to T.K.’s home and give him the food and am rewarded with cash and experience points. I check the map and the waypoint is still there, but I decide to forget going back for another look see.
Now, I’m checking the internet to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Five pages into the Google search and nothing. I’ve found that there are other glitches. One very serious for multiplayer action - vanishing experience points. Anyway, I guess I’ll pass on this quest for the time being. I’ll check once more through Google, and maybe I’ll post an inquiry about this glitch/bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment