Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day Two Hundred Sixty: Evening of April 22nd 2010

My wife left with the Torx (not Torq) screwdrivers in my tech repair kit. She had the adapter to hook up the internal hard drive. She was, as we used to say on the firing line, locked and loaded. I wondered if all the files would be recoverable.
About ten o'clock I received a call from my wife that she was having trouble with taking the iMac apart. She started to read the tools needed and she mentioned a Torx-10 and a Torx-8. I stopped her and said we don't have that small of a Torx bit. Then, I told her that I'd check and get back to her. Checking my tools, confirmed the initial assessment. I wondered if I could overnight an inexpensive set of bits, and work on the project. I went online and found an inexpensive Torx set at Amazon.com. When I called my wife and told her what I had found, she asked me if it might be at a local hardware store. I knew it wasn't at the local hardware store, but there was a Home Depot on the way home. Returning to Safari, I find that there is a similar set at that hardware store. I text the part numbers and description to my wife so that she can pick it up on the way home.
After dinner the disassembly begins. Unbelievable, the engineers a Apple must not have wanted anyone to increase the storage capacity of the computer. Luckily, my wife isn' planning on using the machine anymore, so I didn't need to be really careful about the pull apart. I had the hard drive out in about a half hour, and my wife was transferring the students' files to her external hard drive - mission accomplished.
Now it's time to clean up. I'll ask my wife if she wants me to salvage anything else before the unit is trashed.
For as long as it's needed, I'll keep closing this way. Please check out a good organization that's providing aid in Haiti and make what ever kind of contribution that you can afford. 
-- Post From My iPad using Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment