Friday, January 15, 2010

Day One Hundred sixty-six: Evening of January 15th 2010

Many years ago, when I was in the Coast Guard, we pulled into Port-au-Prince. We were to be tied up two days, and I left the ship with a great sense of adventure. A couple of shipmate of mine decided to ‘rent’ a car and driver so we could tour the countryside. At first the level of excitement was maintained, but after really seeing where I was and what was happening around me, I began to wish I was back on the ship, but the tour continued. The next day, I passed on touring and gave a short list of some rhum liqueurs to a friend to pick up for me at the Barbancourt Distillery. I was depressed about what was Haiti, and the conditions that generated it. If I started describing it, it would be a book. That one book would probably trigger more. Maybe, if I were a writer, I would have done that but I didn’t. I checked about and hit upon The Daily Beast’s list of books about Haiti. After reading the synopsis of each book (plus a documentary, music, and literature) it sounded familiar, too familiar. That is scary considering my visit was over thirty years ago. All old tech solutions, but as far I’m concerned they still work.

So, just check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment