Monday, January 25, 2010

Day One Hundred seventy-five: Evening of January 25th 2010

Most of the day was spent playing Mass Effect to see if I could level up and complete the second play through as Soldier. I advanced to Level 52 before housework set in, and an errand that needed to be run.

There is something that I have to work on for my wife. The question is how to set up a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) drive configuration. According to Apple, their Disk Utility can set this up, pairing the internal hard drive with an external hard drive. I was going to use my 500 GB hard drive, but while reading I noticed that it was better if the hard drives were the same size. It will work if the drives are of different sizes but the larger drive will be capped at the size of the smaller one. I’m hoping that the software that comes with the external drive will also have software that permits RAID setups.

One draw back to Apple’s Disk Utility software, it’s limited to two of the eight types of RAID setups. I’ve got to read up a bit more on this setup system to better understand the operation and configurations available for me to work with. My wife wants to set up a back up system for her students work. She has twelve 500 GB external drives. I’m wondering if we can work this through the server. In other words, the students’ work is backed up to the server and then the server’s backup files are forwarded to the RAID setup. I wonder how large graphics companies handle the files and backups, or universities for that matter. I wonder if it will work on a small setup? Sounds like a research project. Where to begin?

We shall see.

For as long as it is needed, I’ll keep closing this way, please check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment