Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day One Hundred sixty: Evening of January 9th 2010

“Once again, Alicia Keyes,” is said by Charles Barkley as he host Saturday Night Live and I can hardly keep my eyes open. It’s been a long day, and the only thing that I played were some games on my iPhone when I was in the head.

I remember watching a program dealing with the impact of Star Trek on the development of technology, it seems that holding the iPhone gives credence to the premise of that show. But then Dick Tracy had his wrist radio, late it became a wrist television, and I’ve got my iPhone. Did that comic strip have an impact on any of the writers of Star Trek. I don’t remember if the question was asked, but it would be interesting to interview some of the writers of the Star Trek writers to see what were some of the inspirations for the equipment that the crew of the Enterprise used.

Hold on, let me check the Internet.

On the website www.startrek.com there is an interview with Andre Bormanis, initially he was a science consultant for Star Trek: Deep Space and Star Trek: Voyager, and later a writer/co-writer on Voyager. To the question “Has Star Trek foretold any scientific discovery?” his response began with, When people dream of things, someday somebody is going to try to build them. If you look at the ideas DaVinci had for flying machines, his helicopter is not something that ever would have been able to fly. But certainly he started people thinking about the possibility of that form of flight . . .” That describes the relationship that I recognize, but what about their sources. Then I checked the web search results and found that there were 778,000 hits to the search phrase “writers tell where the ideas for the star trek equipment came from” and that dampened my desire to continue the quest. Maybe Dick Tracy did have an impact on a writer on Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment