Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day One Hundred fifty-four: Evening of January 3rd 2010

Nothing serious in the way of tech work was done today, other than updating my daughter’s PlayStation 3. Normally, I do all of the updating wirelessly, but her machine’s reception is poor. I don’t quite understand why it can’t work with that level of reception, when I have my Toshiba or Mac Book Pro in approximately the same location, even with poor reception connections are made, and files can download.

Although I’ve done it a few times before, I went to the PlayStation support site and re-read the directions for doing the update. Following the directions, I created and nested the prescribed two folders. The update file was downloaded and place in the correct folder. This was all done on the Mac Book Pro, and the update folders were loaded on a flash memory stick. I haven’t had a problem doing this, if I’ve followed directions, and this time was no exception. I was done in about fifteen minutes, start to finish.

The last thing that I did was to check to see if the update is in effect. I usually restart any machine that I’ve done major update for the same reason. With the computers, there are additional actions that I take. With the Mac, I use MicroMat’s Tech Tool Pro. With the Toshiba, I use a registry cleaning software that was recommended by CNN Tech (of course I’m on my Mac and nowhere near my PC to get the name of the application). In searching for the name at CNet.com, I couldn’t recognize any of the listed applications, so I’ll mention it in my next post. I guess that is the problem with clicking on an icon and activate the tool. I do the same thing with the antiviral software.

When I was in the service, we had a Preventive Maintenance System (PMS-no comment here) that was used to check the performance of the electronic equipment that we used. In essence, it was sets of scheduled tests, from daily through to annual checks, tests, and alignments. Because our, the crew’s, lives would depend on this system in critical situation, we knew the importance of even the most trivial test. Of course, my equipment performance isn’t as important as that, I still feel the importance of some kind of maintenance program is needed to keep even the gaming equipment operating at optimal levels. So system updates are an important part of system maintenance.

Just a word of warning, every once in a while, some updates have negative effects upon the system or software. That is why the warning is given, whenever you implement systemic changes that you should back up your hard drives. To be honest, I don’t always do this, but I do back up critical documents on the hard drive periodically. Another, approach would be to hit the Internet and check, via a search, if there are any negative effects being experienced by other users.

That was a lot of text for a light tech day.

No comments:

Post a Comment