Monday, January 18, 2010

Day One Hundred sixty-nine: Evening of January 18th 2010

The network went down today, not completely but enough to remind me of the old land line days with the 5600-baud modem. I wouldn’t have noticed the problem because I only occasionally fire my laptop up in the morning. However, my wife and daughter were immediately impacted. My daughter couldn’t sleep so she decided to rent The Hangover through iTunes, and it took all night to download. My wife always checks her email as soon as possible and that was the same this morning. The cry went up, “Something is wrong with the internet!” So the routine begins.

This has occurred before, sometimes it’s the service provider, and sometimes it’s the local area network (LAN). Usually, when I called the service provider they ask that I disconnect the physical cable from the cable modem and the power cord from the power supply. Then wait a few minutes to allow the cable modem to clear/reset before plugging the cable and cord back in. If the problem is the local network, then I usually unplug the power cord to allow the wireless router. This time I did both the router and the cable modem. The result, strong signal from the router, but no speed increase. The only thing left to do is call the service provider and find out what’s up and what should we do.

Later in the day, the call went out and the recorded message at the service provider stated that there was an area wide problem that was being worked on and service would be improved as soon as possible. About an hour ago we were up to speed again. Things have returned to normal. Facebook and the emails flow smoothly again. I know that I can upload my little post. We didn’t shut down because of the slow down, but it did throw a monkey wrench into some of our activities. We are flexible, and capable of a life without the Internet. But we can get a bit frustrated, but not to the point that we seize up and cease to function. Now if we lost electricity that would be a different story.

As I closed yesterday, the day before and for as long as it is needed, please check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment