Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day Two: morning of August 4th 2009

I haven't played anything since yesterday. I didn't move the xBox Arcade down, hook it up, and go online. Hardcore gamer is not a category that I fit into, casual gamer is closer to the fact. Although, I have gotten hooked into a game or two (e.g. Fallout 3, Oblivion 4, Call of Duty 4), and pulled an almost all-nighter (7pm til 4am). That is the exception rather than the rule. The daily routine usually requires interruption; predictable, regular, but none the less focus breaking. Just trying to figure out when to stop in preparation for a required task depends upon the game. Some games allow saving on the fly, meaning that after saving you can return to the same point in place in time and location (e.g. Fallout 3). Other games have specific save points that you reach, pass through and if you quit after you pass through that point regardless of how far along in that portion of the quest, you'll end up starting at that point when you return (e.g. inFAMOUS). There some variations to the what you will return to when you re-enter the game. Some games will return you to that save point exactly as you were when you quit. Others will start you off at the beginning of that section of your quest, but with any accumulated points or personal achievements retained, provided you saved upon exit. This can set up a frustrating situation, like "John, dessert is ready. Your ice cream is melting." Tick, tick, tick . . . the pressure is building.

It was at this point that I lost my connection to the internet. Crap! The wifi signal was strong, but Safari (my web browser) informed me that I needed to run my network diagnostics. I have had this problem before so I knew what to do. Run upstairs, well walk upstairs, shut down the cable modem, power down Airport (my wifi router), wait about five minutes and power up the two pieces of hardware (occasionally, I'll disconnect the cable coming into the modem which has be recommended when I called the cable company's customer support). It didn't take the first try, but it did take the second try. Why didn't it work the first time and then when I tried the second time it did? I don't know, but if it didn't work after a third try (with cables disconnected), I would call customer support. There are times when a recorded message will announce that there is an area failure and the cable company is working on it. Estimated timed of repair is varied, but at least you know, it's not your fault.
One more thing regarding this event. I should have known this was going to happen. The automatic save feature kept flashing a warning about not being able to connect to this site to save my draft. Luckily, little harm was done-this time. Solution: Work on a word processor and paste the text into the post. But, remember to save in the word processor.

So now I'm back at the keyboard explaining the event. Wow, I started my blog yesterday and my xBox breaks down. Today, I'm breezing along and Blam! the internet drops out. Is some one or thing trying to tell me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment