Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day Twelve: evening of August 13th 2009

This was one of those days that made me remember what it was like being a kid again. Last night I received an automated call from UPS informing me that a package requiring my signature would be arriving. I knew what that meant - the XBox was returning. Eleven days, or nine business days, that was pretty quick. I guess that is the advantage of living in a city that is a shipping hub (not discounting the speed of the repair/replacement).
Oh cruel fate, today was the day I had to visit my dentist for some cleaning. The appointment was scheduled for 10am, which happens to be one of the times UPS delivers in my neighborhood. The other time is around 2pm. Luckily, my daughter would be around, so she could sign for the package. But I wouldn’t be there.
Well, when I returned at about 11:30am, the left side of my mouth numb, to an empty table. A brief disappointment flashed through my mind, quickly replaced by that building anticipation - I can’t wait for IT. I could and I would, but that’s not what I would consider acceptable back in the day. I sat in the recliner (mistake) and the Novocain kicked in and I drifted into a state of semi-consciousness that lasted until about one o’clock. It was time to take out the dog. Lead on and out the back door. Be quick my four legged responsibility. Well there was my neighbor, sitting in his back. I don’t usually see him, so I really want to see how things are going. Pleasantries exchanged, and the conversation drifts about. Whoa, out of the corner of my eye, a UPS truck registers, and a sense of urgency kick in. The dog has done the deed, and I politely excuse myself, a delivery is expected, and quickly return to my home. I’m not worried, I should be able to get to the door ahead of the delivery person. Should I take it upstairs and set it up, or should I bring it down and set it up downstairs. Oh, decisions, decisions!. There is no door bell sounding as I enter the living room. Yes! I am fast. I wait-no ringing. What? I look out the door only to see that the UPS vehicle has parked down the block and no delivery will be made at this time - Ratz!
Two o’clock, three o’clock, four o’clock, five o’clock, an early dinner, and just as we begin, the package arrives. Adult behavior kicks in, and I place the package down (within sight of course) and calmly eat dinner with my family. After dinner, I help clean up. Now I can take the package upstairs to set up the console.
With anticipation muted, a bit, I begin to unpack the unit. I’m glad that my years of teaching have taught me how to use my keys to open packages. I don’t have time to waste looking for scissors. Directions rest upon the plastic wrapped console. In my youth I would have bypassed the directions-I knew how to set it up (I had done it three times before). But I decide to read the directions. One sheet shows how to re-link the controller, another a customer service survey, and the ‘thank you for being patient’ letter (mentioning a Xbox Live one month membership card). My previous exposure to these documents doesn‘t get in the way of my syncing the controller with the console. But then I started reading the fourth sheet, a multilingual document. This describes the procedure for officially tying the downloadable content to the current console (not the one sent in for repair) Otherwise there could be access problems by other users of your machine. All I have to do is log in to my account access my account info and re-download everything. WHAT? I am disappointed. I’ve had this for four years, and have downloaded a lot of material, from gamer pictures to whole games. I’ve got to begin the process in order to see what will be needed to be done. I start and discover that there are 176 pieces of downloadable content (DLC). The process is tedious. Some things download quickly, a couple of seconds, others 5 to 10 minutes. The tediousness overcomes me and I slip off and fall asleep (damn recliner/wonderful recliner). I wake and check to see what I have completed - 72 of the 176. I need to go and have some dessert with my family. The wireless link breaks off unexpectedly. I try to reconnect a couple of time without any success, making my desire for dessert stronger than desire to continue.
This is when I remember what it was like being a kid again. The joy of what could be countered by the reality that manifest itself. Sometimes the reality is aligned with the expectations other times it doesn’t. I’ve never tallied the results, but I don’t think I’ve been overwhelmed by the latter, otherwise, why would I have responded to the whole situation the way I did. I’m not totally disappointed by this new procedure, but I wonder why the Xbox people designed something so byzantine? (Even though I am an Apple/Mac user, I will refrain from making any Microsoft cracks at this point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment