Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day Eighteen: late evening of August 19th 2009

Going to the dentist really takes the edge off of playing anything. I got home took care of the dog, pulled up the recliner, fired up the Xbox 360 and TV, loaded Fallout 3, settled into the recliner and pick up where I left off yesterday. The right side of my jaw remained numb for about three hours after I left the dentist, so I was just beginning to feel my jaw as I finished my session after advancing to the 3rd level. I took an Advil and began waiting for my wife to return from the dentist (coincidence, I think not). At least, she was just having an x-ray taken.
While I was playing, and saving like crazy, I was thinking about yesterday, when I wondered if anyone was using the game as a writing resouce. I started mull over how I would begin the ‘novel’. So here it goes:
I thought it would feel damper, and smell mustier. I was confused, no roaches. Ahead of me, I saw a dimmed light streaming through what appeared to be boarded up hole. I wonder what it looks like on the other side, this side looked very common. Maybe the Overseer, wanted it that way. If it looked very ordinary, it wouldn’t attract attention-camouflage.
What would cause someone who thought so rationally twenty years, to degenerate into a paranoid, irrational tyrant. I wasn’t sure how or why it happened, but I was on the run because that is what happened. I knew that I wouldn’t be followed. I would miss Amata, but there wasn’t a choice-not now.
I was still standing at the blocked opening as my thoughts returned to leaving the tunnel and entering The Wasteland. My palms are damp, sweaty. Wait, It can’t be sweat, “Ladies don’t sweat, they perspire.” Well, after the craziness that happened inside The Vault, the gun fight and what I was told would await me on the other side of the door, I couldn’t be a ’lady’ any more. Sweat it is.
I’m glad that my father taught me how to shoot, even if it was a BB gun. I wished security hadn’t shot at me. I don’t know what dad would have thought. He had managed to escape without triggering the alarms, or hurting a soul. He should have taken Jacob with, though, poor dead Jacob. The Overseer over reacted, no he cracked, and orders were issued-poor dead Jacob. I don’t think dad thought that would happen.
Suddenly hatch behind me slowly rolls close, the alarm claxon sound is clamped off, the flashing red warning light shuts off. Darkness and silence, two senses were denied inputs. The other three senses amped up. Hands and face felt the dampness. The nose registered a faint smell of wet dirt. My tongue felt dry and almost fuzzy. Slowly the three were joined by the other two. Ahead of me a silvery glow forced its way through the gaps in the door. I could hear what sounded like the air outside of the door was in motion-the Wind!
As my hand moved closer to the door, I could feel the air forced onto my damp palm. I could feel the wind. My hand moves closer and touches the door. The surface is rough and feels irregularly ridged. The air forcing its way through the cracks is cold and I feel a chill run up my arm, soon my whole body feels it and I begin to shiver. Did my dad come through here? I push forward with my right hand leading the way. I hear a snap and a metallic creak sounds off to my right. A silvery glow appears on the left edge of the door. I am afraid.
So that is how I would start Joanne’s Fallout. I wonder if a creative writing teacher could get a student involved in writing if they had to pen an adventure story, an exposition, based upon a role playing game (RPG).

No comments:

Post a Comment