Friday, August 14, 2009

Day Thirteen: afternoon of August 14th 2009

There hasn’t been a lot of gaming going on as of yet. By the time I was finished with the Xbox alignment, it was about 3am, and I had to get up in three and a half hours. I don’t remember doing this the other times the 360 was replaced. I actually was able to establish a cue of downloads, so while I waited I downloaded another ebook from the Barnes and Noble website. I know that the Kindle from Amazon.com has received a lot of publicity with its release (my daughter has one), but you don’t have to purchase one if you have a laptop, netbook, or certain brands of mobile of phones. Just load up your browser, and do an online search for ‘ebooks’. The tally of hits on the Ask search engine was 1,210,000, a lot of things to check out, but I’m sure that you’ll be satisfied with the first dozen or so. I selected the Barnes and Noble site because I used to buy hard copies of books and magazines from them whenever I was running errands for my wife.
To get the thing running you need to set up an account, download the ebook reader, and start shopping. I decided to work with the dedicated reader for Barnes and Noble. I considered the Adobe reader, because I’m familiar with their line of application and I know that they are relatively reliable, but I was a bit confused about how it handled multiple file types. I might return to it when I get more comfortable with this type of document. The first night I downloaded In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect by Ronald Kessler (list price $26.00 : eBook price $9.99). Once I set up the B&N eReader (a control panel for handling setting up libraries, ordering eBooks, and acquiring purchased tomes). Accessing the Barnes and Noble website was as easy as clicking ‘Shop for eBooks’ in the menu bar, and then browsing new releases or conducting a search for a specific title. I found the title I was looking for, clicked the purchase button, returned to the eReader and clicked on the ‘Get Purchases’ That basically is the routine. There are directions that need to be followed. One action that needs to be taken is whether you want to be able to access/share your library with other people, or keep it restricted to the single computer that you use.
Once you click on a title in the eReader listing of books, that book opens in its own window. Now you can tailor the way the text and background look. The most obvious controls are in the lower menu bar (Full Screen, Two Pages, Preferences, Find . . . et al). But if you want to control the text appearance and background look for the Setting menu choice in the upper menu bar. Here you can change the size of the font, text justification, line spacing, and margins. Below that is theme setting which controls the background and text colors. It gives you the ability to modify the colors of all aspects of the theme. It is important to adjust, or experiment with, these settings for your optimum reading experience.
Well, I going to go back to my eBook about the Secret Service and find out more about the nature of the individuals they were honor bound to protect. We’ve had some pretty unique human beings sitting in that seat of power (regardless of political affiliation).

No comments:

Post a Comment