Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day Fourteen: late evening of August 15th 2009

Well it has been a long day, and even though I had a variety of tasks to do, I managed to play Ghostbusters for about an hour and a half. I wish I had blocked out more time to play some more, but I’m happy that I finished a level and started another.
This game was easy to pick up even after not playing it for about a week. It only required a quick glance at the control description in the manual to check out what each button did, and I was playing again. I’ll try to play a bit longer tomorrow and see if I can actually complete the game. I think I’m at a point that feels like this is the approach to the final battle. As a matter of fact, I was wondering if this game has a replay value. I’m glad I chose to play at the casual setting, because it gives me an incentive to see if I can play with the big boys by choosing a more difficult level the next time I play. If I’m not sure about the way a game might play, I’ll choose the novice setting. Doing this allows you to get use to the controller, for this game, I mastered the buttons and triggers, quickly, but the left and right joystick’s control of movement and aiming gave me some trouble. I wonder why I rarely go to the Options menu in most games and adjust the sensitivity of the controller.
What do I like about the game?
Well the designers based their game upon a movie that I really enjoyed. I own the VCR tape and the DVD of the movie. The sound track uses the same tunes that were in the movie. The voice acting taps into the actual actors for most of, if not all, of the characters in the movie. The 3-D graphics are top notch. The Ghostbusters, themselves, are recognizable, and along with the games ghost and demons, their animation is smooth. I didn’t notice any stuttering when they were battling with numerous evil denizens. The hand controller worked well (I was playing with the Xbox 360's controller, which I find a bit more comfortable than the one that comes with the PlayStation 3), but there were times when I couldn’t bring the beam of the proton accelerator around quickly to target an enemy. As I played, I remembered the movies. This, I feel, demonstrates the care that the publisher took in the design and execution of the game.
What didn’t I like?
There were an number of times when the characters would repeat what they had just said. Occasionally, a character would say something that distracted me, yelling something like, “Watch out on the left!” which proved to be misleading. This is one of those games that has save points, usually after the completion of some major task within the level. That was why I quit after an hour and a half of play. It was getting close to dinner and I didn’t want to be put into the situation where I would have to decide whether I continue playing and have my dinner get cold (not to mention being rude to my family), or end it now, giving up my advancement within the level, eat a warm meal, and keeping my family happy (Of course you know what I picked). And then there is the issue of whether or not you would replay it after the completion of the game.
Would I recommend this game?
Yes, and I haven’t even checked out the multiplayer option. I think it would be a plus if the individual were a fan of the movies, simply because I feel that the game will trigger some fond memories of the originals. The game has yet to disappoint me, but then again, I was sold on the game before it was released.
Well, It's late here. I hope that I can find time tomorrow to play and maybe I'll be able to finish the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment