Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day Twenty: five-late evening of August 26th 2009

Well I downloaded the new scenario for Mass Effect, and this afternoon I returned to play another one of my favorite role playing games (RPG). However, I was in the middle of one of the scenarios, and I must finish that before I can take on the new DLC. Luckily, I have attained the one prerequisites for entering that scenario. I was going to return to Mass Effect this evening, but I received an urgent request from a relative to record a documentary on MSNBC about the Kennedy brothers. The particular cable channel isn’t available there. The request was based upon my having done some video editing awhile ago, and the individual thought that I might help.
Here is where things begin to break down. It is unfortunately, quite common for all computers. The video-in card that I had in the Mac worked fine until I upgraded my operating System to OS 10.2. The card stopped working. I started by checking the Mac hardware, to see if it still recognized the board. To the best of my memory, I think the system information list showed that the slot was occupied, but the characteristics of the card weren’t displayed (manufacturer, model number, and similar information). I went to the manufacturer’s website, only to discover that the card did not work with the new operating system. It stated that a new driver for the hardware was being worked on, and if I left my email address they would contact me. I did and there has been no notification of any driver. That was over two years ago. Last year, I thought that I might be doing some more video work, so I started looking for a new video input device. I found an external one that worked with the Mac and could handle HD transmissions-the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus TV tuner (video-in capabilities also). I purchased it, tested it out, and put it up until the project was ready. That didn’t happen, so I never used it after the initial test-over 8 months ago.
So now, the request, and I’m not sure about the where the hardware is. I know the software is on the Macintosh Dual processor G5. I begin my search and found the box with the hardware unit (including the cables and controller) right away. All is good, and I feel that I can handle the situation. I take the quick reference guide, follow the directions hooking up the cables, turn every thing on and low and behold the computer screen displays a small window with a program running- Hoorah! Then another window pops up telling me that there is a newer version of the software is available (I have 3.1 and the newer version is 3.1.2). Isn’t automation wonderful-not. I figure that the update is a minor tweak, so I download it and then automatically updates the software. I restart it and the channel doesn’t pop back on (the hair begins to stand up on the back of my neck). I still have time, but if something else goes wrong I might not be able to record the program. I check the preferences and make sure that I have the video-in signal sent correctly. Slowly I checked through the preferences, and then ran setup program. I got the signal back and I was on track again. I clicked on the program guide and updated the channels and found the station that was running the documentary. I was amazed at how extensive the program guide was.
Now for act three, I do a test recording for 2 minutes. I look for the file, and I can’t find it. At first I’m flummoxed, I using the open command and checking different folders with no success. I close the channel guide and look at the desktop. Aha, its on the desktop with the label ‘eyetv’. I open it and I can’t find the file, just another folder, so I open it. There is a list of files, see the Ghost in the Machine test file from 8 months ago, but no Kennedy file. I don’t recognize anything, so I close the folders and return to the application. When I open the program guide, I notice the title of one the channels (channel 4 to be exact) is similar to a file I saw in the archive folder. I go back and discover that the clip is the one that I recorded. I try recording again and the file appears in the folder with that programs name. Now I under stand, channel 4 is the portal used by the cable modulator to send the signal to the monitor, so whatever is on channel 4 is the title of the clip. OK, moving right along, I now know where the file will go. So I check the program guide for the time that the documentary is planned, and discover that I can trigger a recording much the same as the DVR (Digital Video Recorder). Hey, this isn’t bad, and I set the device to record the program. I set the computer to activate the recording at one minute before the program and stop recording five minutes after the end. Home stretch, the clock is on 7:58, and I’m watching the closing comments of the show before the documentary when the clock hits 7:59 pm, the recording starts, and the screen goes ‘poltergeist‘. Static screams out of the monitor’s speakers. What happened? I try checking inputs, and as I shut down the recording, I see that the channel on the monitor isn’t the channel I want to record. I start clicking on buttons and nothing happens. A dialog box appears on the screen, "You have lost the signal." Another window pops up with a suggested trouble shooting steps. I’m upset. Somehow the channel shifted to an empty channel, and the recording was ruined. Now what will I do? I email my relative and say that I have failed, but I think that the network will rerun it and I will try again. I reset the application, get the channel on again and manually start recording. Somewhere I read that the storage requirements are 1 hour requires 1.8 gigabytes of storage space. There is 26.7 gigabytes of storage space left. That is plenty of time. I can edit out the section I need.
I’m typing this while the channel is being recorded. I think the rerun will occur at 1 am. I’m finished here. One of the things that crossed my mind when I started this task had happened. Using software that you are unfamiliar with can lead to the very situation that I was in-a failed project. I had an interface that was new. I applied a patch without checking its affect on the application. I had a deadline that didn’t allow for much error, and/or some experimentation. The event reminded me of Murphy’s law states, “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.” The initial smooth sailing in the beginning lulled me into a false sense of security. It has happened before, and even though I try to plan ahead, it will happen again.
"Sailor Beware, the North Star is lying. . ." Claire De Lune

No comments:

Post a Comment