Monday, August 31, 2009

Day Thirty: evening of August 31st 2009

Well it didn’t work, I went back to find an error message on the screen stating that it could not complete the burn. It was late, so I could not start another five hour burn, so I saved the project as a archival file which means that all elements are included and saved-clips, menus, special transitions, et al. That totaled up to just about a 9 gigabytes file. I would have to try again tomorrow, but I would try a different DVD media, just to play it safe.
If you buy blank DVDs, you have to make sure they are compatible with your burner. Over the years, the CD/DVD burners have been enhanced, improved and are able to handle just about any blank recordable media that you put into them. The CD or DVD blank media have codes that indicate maximum speed (8x, 16x, 52x), dual layers (DL), storage space (4.7 GB, 8.5 GB), read only (+R, -R), write or rerecord on (+W,-W) and combinations (which I didn’t see offered in the last Microcenter flyer). Guess what I used? A very old 4x +RW DVD. Maybe , I failed to set the speed correctly, I’m not sure. So, I’ll find another type of blank DVD media to try out.
In the morning, I went digging around and found a Spindle of dual layer 8.5 GB DVD and another spindle of single layer 4.7 GB Lightscribe DVD (note: Lightscribe is process that allows you to burn in a label into the DVD, some DVD have a printable surface that allows certain inkjet printers to print a label on it.) I chose the Lightscribe DVD because the DVD that I was producing only needed 4.5 gigabytes of storage (and I wanted to test out the Lightscribe software after the system update).
The DVD was burned successfully, and played on a standard DVD player. I loaded the Lightscribe drivers, labeling software, laid out a label with an image containing the three Kennedy brothers, and sent it to the Lightscribe LaCie CD/DVD recorder. I should have know that it wouldn’t work when I put the DVD in facing the wrong way. The light scribe surface should have been facing down. Just before I started the printing operation, I did a print preview and the disk image was black. I should have stopped, but I thought that it was a glitch, earlier when the program started the opening screen was black, so I thought that it was an image loading conflict. I was wrong. Twenty minutes later the label was done and there wasn’t anything on the surface. I had to do some house work, so I stopped and returned later.
The G5 tower doesn’t have the system update on it, so I hooked up the DVD player/recorder to it, installed the software, and created a new label. When I checked the ‘Preview’ of the design , it was there. I knew this would work. I copied the failed DVD onto a new Lightscribe DVD, popped new DVD into the recorder and printed out the label. It worked. Now, I just have to take it to the Post Office and mail it off to my relative.
No video games today, I’m not happy about that, but all in all, I’m glad that I completed the project and, got things up and running for my wife, in case she needs to produce some promotional DVDs about her program.

No comments:

Post a Comment