Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day Five: evening of August 6th 2009

The real world event that cut short the afternoon blog was a piece of technology called a recliner. It is very comfortable. I mean very, instantly fall asleep, comfortable. So, after booting up, I proceeded to rock back in the recliner with my netbook on my lap and began to type. You can see how far I got. I decided to stop for a second and figure out what direction I wanted to take the blog. I think I closed my eyes. Bam, the next thing I know my cell phone is ringing. I fumbled with my earphones, recognized the ring as my wife’s, activated the iPhone, and found that my wife was almost home and dinner would be next. Time to stop my writing and get ready to unload the supplies that my wife was bringing home.
The focus of this afternoon activities was the on Toshiba NB 205. My order of a 8 gigabyte Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) card arrived. This was to act as a backup storage device in place of a portable external hard drive. It would store text documents, like this blog entry, that don’t demand excessive amounts of storage area. I installed the chip into a slot on the front of the netbook and formatted it. As I was formatting the card, I remembered that the last system update for the Wii change the way it handled the Secure Digital card. If I remember correctly, the Wii will accept this size of card now. I’m going to have to check this out, and maybe I’ll swap out the 4 gigabyte in the Wii with this one for increased game related storage. This aspect of the update seems to be plus. There were other improvements, but I wasn’t paying that much attention at the time, although I did keep the text document that explained what the update entailed.
The other thing I did was upload the digital copy of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I really appreciate the inclusion of digital copies. It allows me to store a copy of the movie on my hard drive. Most , if not all, of the netbooks I checked out didn’t have a built in DVD component (a space and weight saving design choice). The hard drive has approximately 160 gigabytes of storage, so I can throw on a dozen or so digital copies (@ 12 gigabytes of space) and have something to watch if a long trip or office visit manifests itself. I started watching the video, awaiting the arrival of my wife, and I thought the image, and sound quality was good. I noticed that the video stuttered a few times, but that might be because of the hard drive security lock down which parks the disk reading head before it can damage the disk or the read/write head. As soon as I finish this blog, I’m going to return to the movie, shortly, to see if ‘the force’ is with the primary characters. But I won't be in the recliner when I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment