Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day Nineteen: late evening of August 20th 2009

Well, an issue on the PlayStation 3 running Battlefield 1943, is the topic tonight. I wasn’t going to play Battlefield 1943 tonight, but when I watched X-Play a challenged was issued by Mr. Sark, a regular contributor on the show. He is sponsoring a ‘sniper fest’ on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Well I just played BF 1943 on the Xbox 360, yesterday and the day before as a sniper, so I thought that I would go on the PlayStation 3, and take a little refresher training on it. I played a few games and was warmed up when the game freezes. Drat, I was running up a point total mixing sniping and AA work, too. Well, I decided to shut down the machine, and switch to the other PS3 (my daughter’s) and try it again. Guess what (You don’t really have to guess, you already know what is going to happen next), it happened on the other console, Iwas running up a modest point total and BAM-frozen screen. I noticed that on both consoles the Hard Drive indicator light was quickly flashing long after the screen had frozen. Again, I tried different controller buttons, even the PS3 button used to quit the game was locked out. I went to the console and put my finger tip on the touch sensitive on/off area. That was the end of the session and the source for this post.
This is when I go online, Googling the terms: PlayStation 3 (or PS3), Battlefield 1943 (or BF 1943), freezing (freezes), EA (or Electronic Arts, the publisher). If you do something like that, you should be in the ballpark. As you skim through the listing, note the date that it was posted, then chose the most recent to start with. When I clicked on the most recent post, I was taken to the PlayStation 3 forum, where the symptoms discussed matched my mine. Resolution to the problem, none that fixed the problem. The only thing presented was to reset the machine and start over. Occasionally, an individual states that they have never had any kind of problem, in some way implying, “Something must be wrong with your setup.” The same kind of give and take occurred at the EA site. After a while a common refrain appeared, “They better come out with a patch.” The ’they’ is the publisher Electronic Arts. So the problem is not resolved as of this time. I don’t know if I’ll be playing Battlefield 1943 much more on the PS3.
If you’re interested in the Mr. Sark’s BF 1943 Sniperfest, you need to send an email to mrsark@g4tv.com. Include your gamer tag with your email (I usually put that in the ‘Subject:’ heading of the email). The schedule for the event is Monday, August 24 at 5pm (time zone?) for the Xbox 360, and Tuesday, August 25 at 5pm (time zone?). I’m sure that the response from Mr. Sark will include the specifics. I wonder what it will be like with two teams of 12 snipers running around an island trying to be . . . well I don‘t even know what the rules/goals are.

No comments:

Post a Comment