Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day Eleven: evening of August 12th 2009

I was going to start out by saying I didn’t do much today with video gaming or technology. The comment about video gaming is true (so far), but I realize that the getting away from technology is fairly hard to do, especially in a large metropolitan area.
I had to take my wife’s mother to the dentist this afternoon. Not a big deal, especially with a cellular phone to place a call while I was waiting outside our house. In about five minutes, there was the taxi. A short drive later, mother-in-law in cab, and we were at the dentist’s office. Prior to leaving, I decided to take my netbook with to see if I could connect to the internet from the dentist’s office using my phone as an on the go modem. I had tried this at home, but issues with the wifi in the house. I’m became unsure about shutting down the wireless link in Windows and then link up again after the test.
So, we’re in the waiting room for about 20 minutes, we arrived early, and we conversed about a variety topics. When she was called into the office, I removed the computer from its slip case, and powered it up. As I began to work Toshiba connection utility, I discovered that the office had three, wireless access points. One was a secure/locked channel and two public/unsecured channels, well I decided to skip the Bluetooth experiment and link up via the one of the office’s open channels. Not a problem, I could try the link up at my mother-in-law’s apartment after the visit. An interesting link to the internet appeared as the final wifi source ended the list of connection points-the liquor store on the corner , about 75 feet away.
Well, as I waited, I read an article in the New York Times online edition about the upcoming release of Rock Band: Beatles Edition. The writer relates how certain aspects of the game relate to pivotal points in the Beatles rise to fame and that particular point’s impact on popular music. Then there are additional points made about how this type of interactive game is having impact on the music industry, citing the increase in sales on iTunes of songs included in the other releases of Rock Band and its precursor, Guitar Hero. As I was continuing my read, I could hear the voice of my wife’s mother speaking with the dental hygienist. So I Quit the browser, shut down the computer, and began to slide it into the slip case as The next appointment was being made. My iPhone was pulled out and the appointment app was used record the date of the next check-up.
Another quick cab trip, and we’re at her apartment. We go to her apartment and as we talk about why it takes so long for her television to come on, and I fix her old dust buster (a jammed release). While this is going on I open up my netbook and try to test out the Bluetooth. I think I’m successful, but I had issues with the Windows’ Help instructions being a bit confusing. Sometimes the directions seem to be addressing the Classic Windows Control Panel and other steps refer to the XP Control Panel. I didn’t want to be too rude so I stopped fooling around and focused on the conversation with my mother-in-law.
But the interesting thing were wireless connections that appeared on the computer manufacturer’s connection utility. I think there were three, all secure, that registered in the vicinity of her apartment. And this is senior living facility. I’m proud to be 60+ myself. Well, I guess I’ve come back to the point about not being able to get away from technology. Maybe I’ll take some time to play something on a console later. Oh wait a minute I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment