Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day Seven: afternoon of August 8th 2009

Was playing Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta yesterday for about three hours. I was having a lot of fun moving through the space ship accumulating new weapons, destroying ‘evil’ aliens, and exploring with abandon. There was some interact with the other abductees, but I don’t want any characters to be killed off because of my neglect. I broke for supper and when I returned I was trying to figure out what I want to do. Watch television, join an online battle through Battlefield 1943, or finish up Fallout 3. Then it dawned on me that this would be the end of the adventure. I know that I can replay as another character, make different choices, be BAD. But it won’t be the first time, I’ll have an inkling of what will happen when I go into a certain area, or interact with a character. I’m glad the there was downloadable content to extend the adventure, but just as in Oblivion (another RPG from the same company, Bethesda Softworks, but with a different theme), it is finally going to end and I’ll miss it. It’s just a game, John. Yes but it was a wonderful distraction.
It parallels books by my favorite author, Terry Pratchett. I started reading his work later in his publishing career, so there was a backlog of his books. Once I read Equal Rites, I was hooked, and even though it was his third book (I think), there were five or six of his Disc World books in print. I went back and started reading them in sequence. When I started catching up I started pacing myself , so that I wouldn’t have to wait to long for the next novel. Talk about being addicted. What a great ride, but it to will end, sadly sooner than later. Mr. Pratchett has been diagnosed with early onset Alzhiemer’s. If you’re interested you can check out a number of websites by typing in his name, but the one that I visit is terrypratchettbooks.com.
Well I guess I’ll pace myself until Mass Effect 2 comes out and hope that another great RPG will make another appearance after that one. Luckily, there probably will be one, but there will never be another Terry Pratchett.

No comments:

Post a Comment