Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Twenty-one: late evening of August 22th 2009

Well, I was able to play both Battlefield 1943 and Fallout 3 for about four hours. I know that I said that I was going to just play Fallout 3, but I adjusted the position and orientation off the Airport base station. I thought that standing it vertically and shifting it over a bit it might improve the signal. I thought it had worked, but about an hour into BF1943, I lost the connection. At least I wasn’t locked out. So I ran the wifi test, re-adjusted the antenna on the Xbox, and the signal was back. So, I went back to playing for another half hour without incident. I’ll check again tomorrow.
Fallout 3 was next. It was hard to break away from Battlefield 1943, but I did. My character was in Megaton, so I decided to explore the fortified town. I went to Craterside Supplies, sold some of the equipment, apparel, and supplies, then I had the store keeper repair some of my belongings, and exchange pleasantries, before I left. One of my objectives was to seek out the bar owner Moriartry for information related to my father. So be it. It is off to the saloon. After I get the information, I run into a character named Mr. Burke who offers me a reward for triggering the atomic bomb in the center of town (hence the origin of town name). I know that I want to play it evil, but I decide to double cross him, and turn him in to the sheriff, Mr. Simms. This act of deviousness results in the death of the sheriff, and my killing Burke almost simultaneously. I’m still going to have to disarm the bomb. I am concerned if I’m to blatant about it, I’ll offend the Cult of Atom worshippers. At this point in time I can’t. I don’t have enough expertise in explosives to do it now, but when I level up, I’ll fix that problem. I run into the orphaned son of the sheriff, who reminds me that his father told him to give me some thing when I disarm the bomb. Further incentive to take care of the device (I remember what one of the things is, but I won’t mention it now).
When I’m done in Megaton, and am getting ready to leave, I have at least one more additional quest. So I leave, hot on the trail of my father, who has headed into the heart of a decaying Washington D.C. By the way, when Fallout 3 was introduced, there was an outcry from the political right about the way our capital looked in the game. The post apocalyptic capital was abhorrent to them. The images of the various monuments in different degrees of destruction, according to them, was disrespectful. Politicians have a way of finding causes large and small, real or imagined. You always have to wonder about their motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment