Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day Four: late afternoon of August 5th 2009

No gaming so far. I was planning to shift around the consoles to see if ventilation might be an issue. I doubt it. Generally, I’m fairly conscientious about electronics issues. Three and a half years of military experience dealing with electronics, hydraulics and, ordinance have given me a little insight with things that have electrons, slew around, and goes boom.
If you get involved with any kind of electronics, regardless of complexity, heat is generated. Computers, game systems, home theater systems, all require thoughtful placement. If you place a device in an area, like an enclosed cabinet, run it for awhile, open the cabinet, and if you can feel heat on your hand, you might be in for trouble down the road. While I was in ‘A’ school (military training), it was impressed upon the class that heat degrades components. Now back in the day, we still had tube technology and heat meant HEAT. Even with ventilation going everything felt hot. So monitor your components. Keep the area around your device as open as possible. Make sure vents on the unit remain unobstructed. I’m working with my netbook on my lap while I type this. I have it on an old yearbook and I can tell the difference from two days ago when it was just on my lap. The bottom near the cooling fan was really hot, bordering on painful. I discovered that the curve of my leg was blocking a set of vents that inhibited the flow of air through the innards of the machine. So I looked around and found the perfect platform for it-a glossy covered yearbook. Now I can still feel the heat being generated but nowhere near the level of the previous day. Note that some solution don’t require the expenditure of cash, just a thoughtful assessment of the issue and spending some time looking for an inexpensive solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment