Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day Two Hundred-three: Evening of February 23rd 2010

I had to set up our new laser printer and make sure it was recognized by all the computers using the Airport wireless network. I had scouted it out at the Apple support section of the Apple website. The Airport unit has single USB port, which had been setup to be a network backup hard drive. The support site recommend using a powered USB 2.0 hub to allow the computers to recognize both the hard drive and the printer.
My wife stopped off at Office Depot and picked up the hub, a 16 foot USB cord, and some color laser printer paper. After dinner, I went up stairs to set up the printer. The Xerox setup instructions were relatively clear. Some changes were noted by the placement of updated procedures on the printer in the locations that were affected. Once the printer was prepped, I setup the hub, and ran the cables to the hard drive, airport and the printer. I made sure to plug in the power supply for the hub (some units can work passively, without power, but not for this setup). I plugged in the power cord for the printer, then the USB cord and turned on the power. The printer started to warm up, meanwhile I fired up the Mac G5 tower, to see if it recognized the two units. It took a while, but the hard drive popped up, no printer yet, but I hadn’t loaded the drivers for it. The drivers were downloaded, installed and now I was ready to locate the printer. Rather than use the system preferences (Printer and Fax) I decided to use the Print command in the File Menu and set up the link to the printer through that channel. I worked with the add command I found the Phaser 6125 print drivers, loaded it, and went back to the Print command.
Bam, it worked. I called my wife, told her to load the drivers and try printing from her laptop downstairs. Bam, it worked, although it took about ten minutes for her to setup her machine and send an image to the printer. My daughter was next, but she didn’t have anything to print, because she was working on school related homework. Okay, but the drivers loaded and she should be able to print when she needs to.
I decided to try my little netbook, but I knew it wouldn’t work because it doesn’t recognize the hard drive, but I tried anyways. I was right, no ‘Bam’ here. Maybe I’ll check online and see if Apple has any suggestions for this situation.
We shall see what happens tomorrow.
For as long as it‘s needed, I’ll keep closing this way, please check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment