Friday, February 5, 2010

Day One Hundred eighty-five: Evening of February 5th 2010

I just finished watching Ghost in the Shell, not for the first time, but the DVD version. I was considering the Blu-ray version, but the Amazon.com reviews warned that that copy was flawed. In trying to take advantage of the media, they actually change the appearance of some sections of the film, not always for the better. So I went for the standard DVD version with an additional disk containing the ‘making of’ support documentaries.
The most obvious difference between the VHS version and the DVD is the sharpness of the text. It is so sharp. The movie, itself, looks good, and better than I remember.
I had tried to create a DVD from my VHS version, but that prove to be less than satisfactory. The grain of the VHS seemed to be enhance. I tried using the optimal setting, but again the results were disappointing. I gave up after the second try. Later, I used the same process with my copy Buster Keaton’s The General with significantly better results. I wonder if it was the lack of color in the old silent film, and the software could handle the gray values of the film. I was happy with that final product, especially compared to The Ghost in the Shell transfer. And rather than waste any more time of playing around with the transfer process, I decided to buy the DVD set. I'm glad I did.
For as long as it is needed, I’ll keep closing this way, please check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment