Friday, February 26, 2010

Day Two Hundred-six: Evening of February 26th 2010

After I posted yesterday’s entry, the DLC for Borderlands appeared in the PlayStation Store. The download, entitled, Secret Armory of General Knoxx, is a 1.6 gigabyte file. On the PlayStation farthest from the wireless router the download took about two and a half hours. On the unit closest to the router it took twenty-four minutes. Remarkable that the signal strength fall off can result in such a difference in downloading time. Of course there could be other factors, one being heavy traffic on the servers supporting the PlayStation Network. There wasn’t any rush, I wasn’t really going to do any serious playing after the download. I did check out the look and feel of the game and was impressed. I couldn’t wait until the next day to get into the mix. Boy was I in for a surprise.
The addition is challenging, forget that, it’s hard - period. Just finding the parts for your transportation results in a boss battle with high speed female ninjas. I’m glad I know how to back peddle and have a powerful shotgun. After four tries, I made a mistake and jam myself into a corner. I couldn't get out, the ninjas are blocking me, so I drop my shielded machine gun and blast away at whoever is in front of me. When the firing stops, I’m the last player standing. An example of a fortuitous mistake. I notice that I have switched weapon to my submachine gun. That action was a prelude to what was to come.
Later, I was explaining to my daughter how tough it was using the regeneration process to demonstrate what was happening to me. The game uses a ‘death tax’ to act as an incentive to keep you honest in tough situations. Your death results in a portion of your bankroll being removed. It is a consistent percentage. So as your funds go down your penalty keeps pace. How tough is it(or how careless am I)? I started with a bankroll of about four million in cash and when I quit play it was down to six hundred thousand.
Luckily, I was holding on the all the extra armament and enhancements, which I cashed in to make room for some super health packs. I’ve got to be ready for tomorrow.
Oh yes, it was worth the ten dollars that was spent to download Borderlands: Secret Armory of General Knoxx.
For as long as it‘s needed, I’ll keep closing this way, please check out a good organization that’s providing aid in Haiti and make whatever kind of contribution that you can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment