Monday, December 14, 2009

Day One Hundred thirty-four: evening of December 14th 2009

The day began with the usual activities, walking the dog and breakfast lattes for the ladies of the house. My morning repast is usually a cinnamon chip scone and a large coffee. But occasionally there might be a variation with a piece of banana-walnut loaf or, keeping with the season, a slice a gingerbread loaf. Today, when the respectable working people left the house, I settled in to complete Call of Duty Classic, before solving, if it can be solved, the snafued Modern Warfare 2 scenario.
The last set of scenarios in CoD Classic deal with the Russian campaign. They went smoothly, I survived most of them, but a problem appeared when I couldn’t sprint, which, in the opening scenario, got me killed twice. Normally, on the PS3, holding down L3 (pressing down on the left directional stick) permits a short bursts of speed to your run. After finishing up the final scenario, which entails clearing the way for the flag bearer to let the Red forces know the building was theirs. Halo and Call of Duty were the first shooters that I completed, so playing brought back so good memories. However, by comparison with today’s incarnation of the Call of Duty series, this one is dated visually, with texture mapping, physical appearance, and character movement being the easiest to notice. But for fifteen dollars it’s a nice intro to the genre.
Moving on to CoD: MW2 after my Classic experience proved unsuccessful as far as completion of the scenario is concerned. It convinced me that I was out of position, out gunned (I mean, I had to empty a clip into someone to take them down) and I had outstripped my teammate, who could be counted on for some support on my way to the last checkpoint. Conclusion, and not taken lightly, restart the whole scenario. Learning from my mistakes, I moved through the scenario, quite quickly. Really a bit too quickly, because when it came time to leave the safe house, I began to fail leaving the house. I paused and looked at the HUD map on the pause page. It shows where friends and foes are located. Granted, it only shows those enemies that are close by, but that is a big help in planning any moves. I had managed to pick up some heavier weaponry, earlier, including a light machine gun, which I used to my advantage. After assisting in clearing out the house and reloading my weapons, I decided to go to a back window and play sniper overlooking the field where my teammate was battling troops dropped in via helicopter. That field cleared, we began the run to the checkpoint. After five tries, with grenades and light machine gun blazing, we reached the checkpoint. I won’t say anymore because I don’t wish to give away the close of the scenario.
I want to close saying that I had gone on line to see what the walkthrough were describing, and other than the final run, I didn’t match any of the advice posts. What I liked was the free form solution process that players of MW2 are able to use. It is a boon to novices, who discover a personal solution to their bottlenecks.

No comments:

Post a Comment