Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day One Hundred thirty: evening of December 10th 2009

It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to collect the balance of the zombie brains. I tried to remember where I repaired the claptrap bots, because I had accumulated 39 item storage slots and I wanted to repair the last one for a trophy. But after reviewing the various potential sites, I decided it was time to move on.
Before moving on, though, I had to shovel snow and do some housework. Once the tasks were completed, I setup to play Demon’s Souls. After starting the PlayStation, I notice that the PlayStation store was offering Call of Duty Classic for fifteen dollars. I enjoyed that game on the Macintosh, so I purchased it to see how it looked and worked on the console. I started the download and saw that it would take about thirty-five minutes, so I loaded up Demon’s Souls, and began my new quest. After accepting one of the ready-made characters, I started the tutorial session.
The tutorial is setup to familiarize you with the basics of movement, combat, interaction with the game, and checkpoints. Once you go through this, you end up in boss battle with a demon called the Vanguard, and you die! End of tutorial.
Not really, and this is where I’m a bit confused, you end up in a place called ‘The Nexus’. I guess it’s a purgatory of sorts, where some of the souls of the fallen are captured and allowed to venture out gathering demon souls, ultimately buying your way back into your world. In the Nexus, you interact with other souls and learn the some of the background of where your at, actions that you can take, how others have acted, and basic character management.
Your path back into the world, as a soul catcher, is through one of five touchstone portals. I picked one that was close at hand, and was transported to the battlement of a castle. You are quickly introduced to serious combat. Cautious movement is key, move to fast and you trigger multiple enemies. Their goal = your elimination. One slow lightly armed attacker, can be handled with minimal damage inflicted on your character, if any. But release two or three at the same time, and you will be re-starting the level at the beginning with all collected souls lost and health plants diminished by the amount you used prior to your demise.
Re-starting means just that, all the enemies are reset where they had been before your demise and you have to battle through them again. Now there is some help along the way. If you see a bloodstain on the floor, move over it, and activate it when you are notified to do so. You will see a ghost like form interacting with an unseen foe. Take this to heart, “Forewarned is forearmed,” actually works here. Glowing runes on the ground, usually pass on verbal information or messages from previous player (?). If a body seems to have a glowing orb over the body, move over it and activate it when prompted. Usually, there are items available for you, from medicinal plants to battle equipment. If you move over a bloodstain that is where you died in battle, you will be informed that, after clicking on the stain, you have regained all you lost souls. So remember where you ended your adventure.
I played for a few hours, died six to eight times, and ended my adventure without actually completing the level, so that means that I’ll be re-stating at the beginning again, when I return to the castle.
I don’t want to go online, yet. I want to really be confused or stressed before I tap into the forums. This is a challenging, trial and error, form of adventure.
Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment