Monday, October 12, 2009

Day Seventy-one: evening of October 12th 2009

I worked on my new Xbox 360, transferring previous downloads and straightening out the obtaining of an extended service contract.
The two previous 360s contained paperwork to extend the warranty of the machine.
I know that I could have purchased a service agreement from BestBuy, but I have backup machines so sending a machine in for repairs isn’t a big deal. The last repair took just under 14 days. So, I passed on the store plan. After setting up the machine, I checked the documentation and discovered that the was no paper work for the extended plan. I called Microsoft’s Xbox customer support in the afternoon, only to hear that their database system was down and the service agent told me that the system should be back online in four to six hours.
I returned working on reinstalling the remaining files onto the new machine so that I could switch machines whenever I wished and seamlessly transition between machines. I appreciate the fact that Microsoft allows a user to quickly recover their gamertag and then recall any previously purchased DLC on to the hard drive. I just cue up the downloads and the console take care of the downloads. While this was happening, I shifted to the PS3 and played IL-2 Sturmovik. I broke for dinner then returned to finish up the downloads.
During the second update, I contacted Microsoft customer support again and found out about obtaining an extended service plan. It took about twenty minutes, and I was told that Microsoft had started omitting the documents for the contract, but, I could purchase it over the phone. So that transaction was taken care of, and now all my machines were covered (until the first week of November when the first Xbox 360 falls out of protection).
Big game release tomorrow, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, I can’t wait for my copy to come (Peter Pan Syndrome?). Review copies were released last week and the write ups are very good. Waxing poetic probably best describes them ( “best of …” phrases dropped all over the place).

No comments:

Post a Comment