Monday, October 26, 2009

Day Eighty-five: evening of October 26th 2009

This morning, after setting up breakfast for my wife and daughter, I was skimming through some of the websites that I occasionally enjoy visiting, when I ran across a few interesting, maybe even bizarre posts.
The first was on Kotaku. The other day after reading the comments in response to a post about a game entitled Bayonetta (http://kotaku.com/5388930/bayonetta-tv-commercial-fight). I mentioned the nature of the comments regarding sexism and objectifying women to my daughter, which, in turn, sparked an interesting discussion about that topic. One point that was stated in one of the comments related to the objectification of women in Japanese culture, with many respondents pointing out that it is not limited to Japan. The points made ranged from the mundane to the thoughtful. After running through a number of responses it became obvious that objectification exists globally. I think it is the degree to which it is exhibited that separates one culture from another was the point of that some of the respondents bypassed in the discussion.
Back to this morning, as I opened the website and scrolled the posts, I ran across the following post on Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5389772/blazblue-voice-actress-gets-naughty-mouse-pad) and it brought back thoughts from the previous discussion, especially the comment so about degree would have that abut making something. I never would have thought doing something like that.
The other post was on Gizmodo. It was about transposing the Mac OS to a Intel running Windows machine (http://gizmodo.com/5389166/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-10v-into-the-ultimate-snow-leopard-netbook). I think the reason for the hack is the desirability of the operating system and the avoidance of the cost of the machine. At first I wasn’t sure what I thought about this, especially after reading that there was the possibility of ‘bricking’ the $300 dollar machine. I mean I’ve lived with the snide comments about my choice of the Macintosh as my primary platform. All of a sudden, there are a number of PC/Windows users wanting to move over to “dark side” of computers. I’ve worked with both platforms and never understood need for the debate. If I needed to drive in a nail, and a Stanley hammer was available, but my own preference was Craftsman tools, I wouldn’t waste time running home to get my hammer. Grab the Stanley hammer and drive that nail into the two by four. Likewise, if I have a TIFF file and I need to print it and the only available machine hooked up to a printer is an Intel PC running Windows, then the flash drive is plugged into the PC and print away. Of course there has been serious convergence since I first started in computing. I’m using a Windows netbook to work on the blog. My personal photograph on this blog was shot by my daughter with my iPhone, emailed to my Mac Book Pro, and then emailed from the Mac Book Pro to the this Toshiba netbook. (note: I bought the Toshiba because I had to sit in waiting rooms and the Mac Book Pro, that I work on most of the time, was a bit bulky with a three hour max on the battery, didn’t work for web browsing those locations).
Anyway it was an interesting, and tempting for the truly adventurous, but I had my Mac for working, and I feel comfortable working in the Windows environment. Now with Windows 7 available, will I shift over to the newer OS, presently no. I mean sinking more money into this machine really would bother me and unnecessary at this time.
Well you can decide which post is “…interesting, maybe even bizarre” after reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment