Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day Seventy-nine: evening of October 20th 2009

(Please note that this entry was not uploaded on the 20th because of a location error occurred - basically it was the ‘server could not be found’ error.)
Bazaar opening, but my not feeling well today, resulted in using the games on my iPhone. I could have also used my Nintendo DS or my Sony PlayStation Portable, but the iPhone is always in my pocket, and some times there just isn’t enough time to get the other units.
I have fifteen iPhone/iPod game apps, but six of them are staples whenever I get stuck waiting for short periods of time. I guess they fall in the ‘casual game’ category, but a couple can fall into an extended play mode if the situation arises. Those are Solebon Solitaire and Pop Cap Bejeweled 2.
The solitaire game is what it says it is, however there purchasing options. You can download the free version which has six games, Klondike Deal 1, Klondike Deal 3, Baker’s Game, Baker’s Game Easy, Demon and Spiderette. The Standard version , which has 40 games, costs $1.99. I won’t list them. The truth is, I haven’t even heard of most of them, and it is 38 more games more than I've ever played I’m a Klondike player, so those are the two that I play, almost exclusively. It’s comforting to know that, if I ever get bored with Klondike, I can find out about other kinds of solitaire. I bought the full version after playing the free version for a few months, because I wanted to commit a small cash thank-you to the creators. Consider it applause after a good performance.
Bejeweled 2, which is a gem swapping puzzler, is the follow up to online game Bejeweled. I remember watching my daughter play that game. She seemed to get lost in the game for 15 minutes or longer. Of course, looking over her shoulder would result in the “Why are you doing that. You know it…” comment, so I avoided that. I have no idea how long she play that particular game, but it was awhile before she shifted to another game. Anyway, this is a hand held version of the updated and enhanced the original. I guess you could consider it a more sophisticated variation of the Connect Four table game by Milton Bradley. Bejeweled 2 has three modes: Classic, Action and Endless. Of course, I really only play the Classic mode. I think that I checked out the other modes, but I find the Classic version most satisfying, especially when time restrains are involved.
The only downside to game play on the iPhone is the battery drain. In small doses of game play, there is no significant drain, but with extended play the drain is more noticeable. The primary purpose of the iPhone is communication, so I have to be judicious in my game play. Occasionally I’ll cut it close, but most of the time, I make it home with enough to spare.
Oh, I forgot, there is one more time killer, that I enjoy - Doodle Jump by Lima Sky. It’s addictive, so I usually restrict my play to one or two attempts at this 2-D platform jumping game. I have played it to the point of serious battery drain, so be careful with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment