Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day Eighty-eight: evening of October 29th 2009

Very low tech today, just running out to pick up a package and then waiting for the delivery of parts of a Halloween costume. Walking to pick up the package at the post office moves me through a neighborhood prepared to briefly feed sweets to the tiny practitioners of an ancient eve devoted to mischief.
A very low tech evening examining the parts of the costume that arrived during the day. Then an item piqued my interest that was a mistake in the order. My daughter thought that she was ordering a bloody knife, but it turned out to be a machete that “drips blood”- wow!
Well it really doesn’t drip blood, the red liquid is contained in clear plastic sheathing encasing the ‘blood’ and a gray insert completing the illusion metal blade. Holding the blade upright results in the ‘blood’ drain into a reservoir in the handle. Turning the blade down, into a stabbing, or in the case of a machete, a slashing motion, results in the ‘blood’ oozing down the blade.
What a fascinating toy. I remember a baby bottle accessories for dolls that looked like the ‘milk’ was being drained by a hungry baby. I can’t recall how many time I turned the bottle to watch it drain and refill. I was an adult. I knew what was happening, and I kept on doing it.
So what did I do with this faux macabre instrument of death and dismemberment. Turning it up and down, over and over, again and again, I wondered how would it look when you twist it this way? How can I make it look even more gross? I’m an adult , but it didn’t take much of a low tech toy to bring out the child in me.
Thank goodness, and Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment