Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day Seventy-four: evening of October 15th 2009

Well, I pulled an all nighter playing Uncharted 2 last night. I managed to sleep for about three hours from about 7 am until 10 am this morning. I must have been in deep sleep, because one of the cats was on my chest, purring very loudly when I woke. Somehow, my internal clock, seems to know when “The Price Is Right” is on. I don’t necessarily stay awake for it, but I do change the channel to the show before phasing in and out of consciousness until the early afternoon. Not today, the cats needed to be fed, and once I got to my feet to do my duty, I wouldn’t be drifting off right away.
Back to the reason for my all night affair, Uncharted 2. The story is just that engaging. I would reach a point with a lull in the action, my rational brain would consul bed and sleep, while the Peter Pan side would suggest pushing on to see if I could reach a slightly more advantageous position. The case for continuing seemed so reasonable when stated like that so on and on I went.
I did hit a few glitches, but they didn’t require restarting the whole game, but I did have to die. As I died it was interesting to watch the ‘rag doll physics’ as it took over the fall. Let me tell you, I got to see my character fall many, many times. The depths and distances are beautifully rendered. Sometimes the camera view will get a bit off putting, but never reaching the frustration level that would cause me to quit.
After putting in over a dozen hours, I think PlayStation 3 owners will enjoy this action/adventure game.
As a sidebar, I found out that you could do OCR scanning through Adobe’s Acrobat Professional. I didn’t check it out completely to see how effective it was at format handling , or spell checking. It's nice to know that I won't have to put out cash to handle simple OCR work.
I’m pretty sure there won’t be another all night affair tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment