Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day Thirty-two: late evening of September 2nd 2009

I updated Adobe Creative Suite 4 and Flash had an error message pop up about Java Script, some aspect of it was not loading correctly, and I decided that it all should be removed. I’ll go online, and see if there are issues related to the Snow Leopard OS update. I think that waiting a bit is okay. A number of other software applications have issues with the latest update, including eyeTV, which I used on the documentaries. Luckily, The Power G5 tower is up and stable, so that is the machine of choice for the installation of CS4, now.
Guess what happened? Everything loaded, including the online updates, inside of an hour. I know this is significantly faster than the laptop, but why? I think the tower was from 2003 and the speed of the DVDs are the same. The MacBook has a 2.93 Ghz dual intel processor and the G5 has a dual 2.00 Powerchip, so the laptop has the edge. So was there a conflict between the install application and the operating system? I really don’t have the desire, or the time, to find out now. I just needed to burn some backups of the suite for my wife to use at school.
What did I do after the above, I played a little Mass Effect, downloaded Shadow Complex and played it for about an hour and a half. Wow, this side-scrolling game looked great, played smoothly, and was fun to play. I became a frustrated side-scroller with a game called Prince of Persia (1989)-my timing was never quite on the mark, so I was wary about acquiring this particular video game. But the critical praise for the game was uniformly positive for all aspects of the game (e.g. playability, graphics, sound, challenge, value). The review from X-Play was five out of five, so I decide to get it. I may not finish it, but I think I will have fun being frustrated by it.
An interesting debate, has arisen around this game. The game draws upon the work a science fiction writer, Orson Scott Card, who is actively oppose to gay rights and the gay life style. A number of individuals have express their disapproval of the author, vocally, and financially (by not purchasing this game). As I said in the opening sentence, there are some interesting debates going on in gaming forums. It surprised me to find out about this. Many years ago, I read three or four of his books. I never sensed this position expressed in his writing. Of course, I wasn’t looking for it, and I never came across any mention of this in the reviews of his books, likewise reviewers have mention the link to his novel Empire, but not his political activism. Now I’m wondering if this would have effected my decision to buy this video game, if I had know about this before hand. I wonder how the staff at the parent company feels about the moral debate that has been generated by this game. Will this have a negative impact upon the company that created the game, and the people who work there. I’m wondering, now that I’ve bought the game, how I’ll feel when I play the game.
I guess that video games aren’t just the mindless diversions that some individuals believe they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment