Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day Thirty-five: evening of September 5th 200

We, my wife and I, went to a local computer store to pick the supplies and equipment she had ordered. Of course, we purchased other things; an internal hard drive for the Power Mac G5, an external portable for the PowerBook Pro, and a new flatbed scanner to replace our Epson 2400.
So this evening, I set about installing the internal hard drive, which went well especially after I checked the Mac forums for tips on installing a hard drive in the G5. The tip was an important one about the use of a jumper. It was mentioned in the PC section, but not in the Mac portion, although it was advised that the installer check for specifics related to their Macs. That was why I went online, and found the specific advise that told about the jumper to change the data file transfer speed. The jumper was included in the Seagate hard drive kit, and the diagram showed which pins to place it on (the orientation of the PC was inverted from the Mac, but I saw that before I did anything stupid).
Right now, I’m transferring the files from my Mac laptop and smaller external hard drive to the larger portable. That task is nearly complete, and once that is done I’m going to use the smaller drive to backup file on my netbook, after I format it.
One interesting thing, that I’ve noticed, is the amount of direction space that is required for the PC hard drive installation compared to a Mac. The PC required about 5 pages of directions including diagrams (one of which was the inverted jumper diagram) whereas the Mac section was just a little under a page. It has been that way for almost all the hardware related installations that I’ve run. I will say that the Windows system has improved considerably since its introduction. The wizards that pop up do help, but still not as simple as a Mac’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment