Monday, September 28, 2009

Day Fifty-seven: late evening of September 28th 2009

I had to wait for a package today, so I had to stay within earshot of the front doorbell. From about 12:15 pm until about 4 pm, I played and finished Halo 3: ODST. That game is down right cinematic. From the cut scenes to the game play, it is easy to get lost in the flow of the game. I’ve said it before, this game covers all the bases for the a solo player - stunning graphics, smart main story line, interesting side story (but not required for completion of the main story), smooth controls, and multiple situational solutions (tailored to your weapon choices, or availability).
Over the weekend , I noticed an Adam Sessler (X- Play/G4tv) opinion piece about assessing franchise games, with Halo 3: ODST as an example. One of the comments hit home about why I purchased the game. I like the series, and have had fun with all the iterations, so that made it easy to select and purchase the latest entry into the series. Was it a given that I would like the game, no, but I really respect the work that Bungie puts into its products. This means that, if there were no Halo predecessors, and Bungie (Marathon, Myth, and Oni) was putting this game out as the first entry into the market, I would probably buy it. It is a first person shooter, the clips looked fantastic, and the previews by the pundits pointed me toward purchasing the game.
Would I purchase Halo 3: ODST 2, probably, but would it be a FPS?, does the plot look interesting?, great looking graphics?, engaging previews?, a solid demo? So there is a process that I go through before I purchase a video game. Do I make mistakes, yes and that makes me more skeptical the next time around. Do I break with my process? Every once in a while I do. I purchased Call of Duty 3 in spite of average ratings by the reviewers. It was a first person shooter. I enjoyed Treyarch’s other production for the PS2. The game doesn’t have to meet all the criterion, but it does keep me focused. Considering the financial times, being cautious is probably a good thing.
As an aside, Call of Duty 3 follow a contingent of Polish tankers, and I was thrilled to here the strains of the Polish National Anthem as the group appeared on screen. It brought back memories of standing outside the school at the end of lunch when, before returning to class, we would say the Pledge of Allegiance, sing the Star Spangled Banner, and then the Polish National Anthem with its chorus of “Marsz, marsz, Dabrowski, Z ziemi wloskiej do Polski…” It still give me goosebumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment