Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day Fifty-six: late evening of September 27th 2009

A typical Sunday - slept late, brunch, watched some pre-game football shows in preparation for the Bears game, finished the laundry, and because the Bears game started at 3pm (in Seattle against the Seahawks) I decided to try loading Adobe Creative Suite 4 onto the laptop. It became an exercise in futility, four attempts with various degrees of failure.
The first try resulted in a hang up because the DVD was not recognized. The second try, and this was monitored closely, went through the first disk and requested the insertion of the second disk, after the first one ejected. The second disk was inserted and was recognized correctly (one time I inserted the 2nd disk and it registered as the 3rd disk), so I let it go and ran down to finish the laundry. When I returned the progress bar had not moved. I waited a little bit longer, about five minutes, held down the start button, and shut the machine down. I started checking the disks, looking for scratches or smudges, and I found some heavy scratches on some of the 1st disks and minor flaws on the 2nd disk. So I started cleaning them, including the one that I had been using to install, the 2nd disk, which locked up. I put together a pretty clean set with the a minimum of surface flaws. and tried to reload for third time. For a first time, the 1st disk seemed to load up quicker, but when I inserted the second disk, it thought it was the third disk. I didn’t know what to do, and the Bears were down 13 zip-very frustrating. Well for the fourth try, I decided to remove, not only all the applications, but all the preferences that I could find. I went into the users library and the system library and sent any Adobe preference files to the trash. I double checked the disk, making sure that the surfaces are clean and clear. So the fourth try began, the 1st disk loaded even quicker than the last try. So, when requested, I inserted the 2nd disk. The computer recognized it as disk 2 of 3, and indicated that an application was loading, and that is where it stayed-at least the Bears had scored and were threatening again.
Well that’s it for the installation, I wonder if it isn’t a problem with backup disks. I know it might sound strange, considering the backup worked on other machines, but they were dual sided DVD and the original were standard DVDs. I hope the originals can be found, just to test it out.
The Bears won the game. After their initial loss to Green Bay, the pundits were sure that the Bears would be 0-3 as of today. I know that I should be happy that the Bears won, but I really hate it when I can’t get the computer to function correctly. Eh, who am I kidding, the Bears won! Fight on Chicago Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment