Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day Forty-four: late evening of September 15th 2009

After all of the sights that were seen, samples collected, the only other thing that I wanted to do for my wife was to take the eight video clips and get them on to her computer at school. Now the easiest way would be to forward them to her through email. Generally, that works if the clips is small enough. I guess that would be about 30 seconds or less. However, there were two one minutes clips and one four minute one., which were not allowed off the iPhone. So now what should I do, or more exactly what could I do?
With my old 15 gigabyte iPod, after syncing through iTunes, I would be able to mount the iPod as an external drive (not that I used it that way, I had to much music stored on it). So that was what I thought I could do. It didn’t work out that way. It didn’t work out any way that I tried.
The next step was searching the web. I went to Google, and typed in ‘iPhone’ ‘transfer files’ ‘to Mac’ with no success. The reverse transfer was listed from the Mac to the iPhone. I played around with the search terms. I tried searching the Apple website - with the same result. I was becoming confused. Why would it be so difficult to find a process that allowed me to move video clips off the iPhone? Confusion shifted into frustration, and I wondered what I was doing wrong. I tried using the Apple’s disk utilities to see if I could see the iPhone as a storage device - nope. The frustration level was increasing, and I still didn’t have a clue. I decided to try a different tack.
I fired up the iPhoto application, hooked the iPhone up to the Mac Book Pro, and treated the iPhone as a camera (which it could do) and synced with iPhoto. It happened, all the photos and the video clips transferred. Once the transfer was complete, and the frustration disappeared, I felt like I was in control again. I opened the movie files in Quicktime Pro, previewed the clips, and saved the clips under more recognizable terms. I put the clips in a folder labeled PRINT_09, and burned a CD with them. It was funny but I couldn’t find a CD, every disk in the house was a DVD. Ultimately, I found an blank CD in a stack of unused DVDs. The total space used was about 270 Megabytes. Ten minutes later, I was labeling the CD with a specialized CD/DVD marker.
I’m glad I tried something the wasn’t a linear solution (to me a least). I don’t understand why I couldn’t find this transfer process when I searched for it? What did I miss when I framed the search?
On a final note, as I was beginning the search, I was notified that there was a system update for the iPhone (3.0 to 3.1). I declined to do it then, because I was concerned about the data that I had on the device. Once I had completed the transfer, and backed up my data. I was ready to do the update. You have to protect your data. When in doubt, backup your files.

No comments:

Post a Comment