Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day Forty-six: late evening of September 17th 2009

I just got back from helping my daughter with a lost dog. We searched for about an hour and a half, circling outward from the ‘find’ point. A half an hour into the walk, I tried to retrieve information off of the dog collar’s solitary dog tag, but it was the standard vaccination tag. We thought that we might be able to locate the owner using the ID number on the tag by contacting our vet in the morning, if we didn’t run across the owner as we walked about. After an hour, my daughter split off to go home, and I continued the tour. When I retuned home, I got some food and water, and while I was cleaning up my wife called, saying she found the dog’s name, the owner’s name and a phone number and would call as soon as I hung up. When I asked my wife what the dog’s name was, she said it was ‘Baby‘. No wonder the dog responded to me when I walked up to her, I always greet dogs by saying “Hello baby.” Owner and pet were reunited just before 11 pm.
I played a little Fable II and fooled around with Scribblenauts. The game has a changeable practice start up screen, and I was testing out different words to see what kinds of objects would appear for use. Later, as I checked out some game related sites, I ran across an interesting Kotaku article by Mark Fahey about the game (http://kotaku.com/5361838/frankenreview-scribblenauts). Before I read the article, I had wondered how much of the fascination with the game was actually about trying to break the bank by finding how many words don’t work. The article reminded me about that. I found that as I started the game there was an initial urge to test the vocabulary DB, but the desire to collect the levels’ ‘Starite’ as fast and efficiently, as possible, took over very quickly. That practice area is a good idea, it’s like priming the creativity pump. I mean why would anyone type in oil rig in this game (I still haven‘t finished), but I did type it in the practice area, and it appeared. Now, you and I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment