Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day Fifty-eight: late evening of September 29th 2009

I had to run errands today, most of them kept me on my feet, so I didn’t dabble with my tech stuff. There were times when I was sitting down, and when I did, I pulled out my Nintendo DS (Dual Screen) and worked on a crossword from The New York Times Crosswords game. I could have played Scribblenauts, but I probably got a little self-conscious about playing a ‘kids’ game in public, and more importantly, the ‘giggle factor’. Some games, will induce the “Well, I’ll be damned!” reaction, or cause you to laugh(or giggle) out loud. I didn’t want that to happen in a very public space, so I opted out for the more conservative approach. Little did I know that I would be faced with the former reaction.
I’ve always been under the impression that completing The New York Times crossword puzzle in twenty minutes or less was a primary goal, and proof of you’re your skill as a cruciverbalists (not that I am one of them). Well, as I picked up a the previously started puzzle, I quickly moved through the remaining lights and completing the entries in the puzzle. For joy, 19 minutes read the timer. Then I looked at the game score and the “Well, I’ll be damned!” statement formed in my brain, as I saw the B+. I was able to control myself, it was a crossword puzzle, after all, but it was close.
Of course, being a gamer, I, now, wonder what would get me a solid A, and not the soft and fuzzy A-. I’m sure it won’t be 18 minutes. I hope it won’t be ten minutes, because I doubt that that will be a time that I’ll be able achieve. The game has one thousand puzzles, and I don’t think that I’ve completed more than fifty of them. So shooting for 15 minutes will be my next game objective. Nothing like another challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment